David Clough, Founder and Co-Director
David is Professor of Theological Ethics in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies at the University of Chester and he is a lay preacher in the UK Methodist Church. David has published quite a lot, including On Animals: Systematic Theology, which was called "indisputably the most important and comprehensive theological treatment of animals to have appeared in any language at any time in the Christian tradition.” David lives next-door to Chester Zoo, in North-West England, with his family of five humans, one cat, and three gerbils. He can be followed on Facebook or Twitter @DLClough.
Sarah Withrow King, Co-Director
Sarah is the Deputy Director of The Sider Center of Eastern University. She is the author of Animals Are Not Ours (No Really, They’re Not): An Evangelical Animal Liberation Theology and Vegangelical: How Caring for Animals Can Shape Your Faith. She lives in Philadelphia with her husband and son. They share their home with two rescued dogs and two former street cats and are covenant members of Circle of Hope.
Margaret B. Adam, Project Editor
Margaret is a Visiting Tutor of Christian Ethics at St Stephen’s House, a Church of England theological college at the University of Oxford. She also teaches U.S. undergraduates who are spending a semester abroad, in Oxford and in Bath. She holds a PhD in Christian Theological Studies from Duke University. Margaret has always loved dogs. She came to animal advocacy through her commitment to pacifism and her faith in the already but not yet peaceable kingdom. She also loves murder mysteries, cooking for a crowd, babies, her three children and two daughters-in-law, and her husband, with whom she lives at St Stephen’s House.
U.K. Advisory Council*
- Margaret Adam, St. Stephen’s House, Oxford University
- Nick Adam, University of Birmingham
- Brian Brock, University of Aberdeen
- Joyce D’Silva, Compassion in World Farming
- Julie Gittoes, Guildford Cathedral
- Aaron Gross, Farm Forward
- David Grumett, New College, University of Edinburgh
- Mike Higton, Durham University
- Rachel Muers, Leeds University
North America Advisory Council*
- Carol J. Adams, Writer and Activist
- Shantha Ready Alonso, Creation Justice Ministries
- John Berkman, Regis College, University of Toronto
- Ed Brown, Care of Creation
- Charles Camosy, Fordham University
- Christopher Carter, University of San Diego
- Akisha Townsend Eaton, Order of St. Francis
- Bruce Friedrich, The Good Food Institute
- Michael Gilmour, Providence University College
- David Gushee, Mercer University
- Tyson-Lord Gray, Minister. Professor. Activist. Attorney
- Matt Halteman, Calvin College
- Laura Hobgood-Oster, Southwestern University
- Grace Yia-Hei Kao, Claremont School of Theology
- Candace Laughinghouse, Eco-Womanist Scholar
- Carlos Malave, Executive Director, Christian Churches Together
- Kyle Meyaard-Schaap, Young Evangelicals for Climate Action
- Lauren Lisa Ng, One Happy Table
- Aline Silva, Pastor.Preacher.Coach
If you're interested in helping to shape our strategy by serving on one of the advisory councils, please contact us.
*Institutions are listed for information only and do not reflect endorsement.